Goodbye, boys and girls. The internet has become far too dangerous (safe link, no spoilers) for angelically pure Orbit-ly white Potterites like yours truly. I’m off, to return only after I’ve safely finished the book.
I won’t be looking at your comments. I won’t be answering my phone or email. I won’t be watching TV or standing in line outside a bookstore at midnight (picked a store party that would let me stay IN). I CANNOT BE SPOILED, MUA HA HA HA.
Have a happy Harry Potter day. Try not to get TOO spoiled beforehand. Record your predictions on your respective blogs, and check them later. Cry, laugh, LIVE – knowing you live in historic times (sniff). No, really. Historic. You’ll look back on this.
Just as a thought – here’s a historic snapshot I took at a historic moment which I should have uploaded a long time ago –
Before I go, I would like to dash off a few predictions, and those of you who have seen those photogrpahs and have been spoiled silly – HA – will be able to tell right away what I’ve got right and wrong. Go ahead. As long as you’re not telling ME.
1. Voldemort will die and become a ghost – because he fears death, you dummies. Betcha never thought of that, huh? And I’m also predicting an OMG!heartrending scene where Voldemort confronts a Boggart and it turns into the GRIM, only the Grim is Padfoot and Harry’s going to go nuts! Gosh do I have a brain or what?
2. He will live. And after years, months, weeks and days of vascillating on the subject I have decided that Harry probably IS a horcrux. That scar. A bit of Voldemort’s soul is somewhere in his head, because – get this quote from PS – the Sorting Hat says, “You’d do well in Slytherin, it’s all there in your head, you know…” The requirement of Voldemort never at any one time possessing 7 horcruxes is nicely met if RAB managed to destroy the locket horcrux before he died. Howzzat!
Candidates for Redemption
3. Snape is good. He was in love with Lily. He has stumbled a few times since he turned himself over to Dumbledore (notably while making that Vow – what were you thinking, Snivelly?!) but we shall not be denied the grand melodramatic and tearful redemption story. Basically, either Snape will die or his moral ambiguity will die, Jo isn’t good enough to sustain this character beyond her narrative in his current shape. Wormtail is NOT up for redemption. He’ll end up helping Harry in spite of his best efforts not to. Percy Weasley is a tossup – I’m hoping he stays bad, but he probably won’t.
Who Dies?4. Hagrid should go, but maybe he won’t. A Weasley will die, probably Molly. Somebody told me yesterday that it was George – I half-believe it. In this strange world of half-trust and half-resignation of J. K. Rowling that I inhabit, it’s hard to figure this stuff out. Will she go to the extremes of the tearjerker mode by killing off one of the twins, or will she show the bountiful and awesome elegant restraint reminiscent of books 1 through 5?
5. Lupin, Tonks, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny will live. Everyone else is up for grabs.
6. Like I said, Harry himself is one. Then there’s the diary, the ring, the Hufflepuff cup, the Slytherin locket, and the snake.
7. Happens INSIDE the veil. In limbo. Where the shades of Harry’s parents and Sirius will help Harry.